Acupuncture has been used by traditional Chinese Medicine to improve milk production and as a treatment of milk stasis ("plethora") and mastitis.
Although high quality scientific evidence is lacking, published papers are promising: acupuncture treatment done by experts could be useful to manage specific breastfeeding problems.
We do not have alternatives for Acupuncture since it is relatively safe.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Winterfeld U, Meyer Y, Panchaud A, Einarson A. Management of deficient lactation in Switzerland and Canada: a survey of midwives' current practices. Breastfeed Med. 2012Abstract
- Yu J, Zhou J. [Effect of auricular point sticking on lactation of puerperant]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2012Abstract
- Mårtensson L, Kvist LJ, Hermansson E. A national survey of how acupuncture is currently used in midwifery care at Swedish maternity units. Midwifery. 2011Abstract
- Neri I, Allais G, Vaccaro V, Minniti S, Airola G, Schiapparelli P, Benedetto C, Facchinetti F. Acupuncture treatment as breastfeeding support: preliminary data. J Altern Complement Med. 2011Abstract
- Muresan M. Successful relactation--a case history. Breastfeed Med. 2011Abstract
- Mangesi L, Dowswell T. Treatments for breast engorgement during lactation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010Abstract
- Zhou HY, Li L, Li D, Li X, Meng HJ, Gao XM, Jiang HJ, Cao LR, Zhu YL. Clinical observation on the treatment of post-cesarean hypogalactia by auricular points sticking-pressing. Chin J Integr Med. 2009Abstract
- He JQ, Chen BY, Huang T, Li N, Bai J, Gu M, Yu M, He XP, Wang HY. [Randomized controlled multi-central study on acupuncture at Tanzhong (CV 17) for treatment of postpartum hypolactation]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2008Abstract
- Wei L, Wang H, Han Y, Li C. Clinical observation on the effects of electroacupuncture at Shaoze (SI 1) in 46 cases of postpartum insufficient lactation. J Tradit Chin Med. 2008Abstract
- Kvist LJ, Hall-Lord ML, Rydhstroem H, Larsson BW. A randomised-controlled trial in Sweden of acupuncture and care interventions for the relief of inflammatory symptoms of the breast during lactation. Midwifery. 2007Abstract
- Wang HC, An JM, Han Y, Huang LN, Zhao JW, Wei LX, Dong L, Zhai GR, Li XP, Yang AJ, Gu M. [Multicentral randomized controlled studies on acupuncture at Shaoze (SI 1) for treatment of postpartum hypolactation]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2007Abstract
- Zhao Y, Guo H. The therapeutic effects of acupuncture in 30 cases of postpartum hypogalactia. J Tradit Chin Med. 2006Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Campbell A, Macglashan J. Acupuncture-induced galactorrhoea--a case report. Acupunct Med. 2005Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Kvist LJ, Wilde Larsson B, Hall-Lord ML, Rydhstroem H. Effects of acupuncture and care interventions on the outcome of inflammatory symptoms of the breast in lactating women. Int Nurs Rev. 2004Abstract
- Jenner C, Filshie J. Galactorrhoea following acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 2002Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Ayers JF. The use of alternative therapies in the support of breastfeeding. J Hum Lact. 2000Abstract