This is a third generation Cephalosporin.
At latest update relevant data on excretion into breast milk were not found. On other type of Cephalosporin for which there is available information, excretion into breast milk is therapeutically non-significant.
Cephalosporin is commonly used in Pediatrics, even in neonates, with a good tolerance, which may be a reason to think that the presence of small amounts in the milk would not represent any harm to the child.
Be aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures done to infants when the mother is on antibiotics, together with a higher risk of diarrheal disease due to imbalance of intestinal flora.
We do not have alternatives for Cefixime since it is relatively safe.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Κεφιξίμη (Greek)
- سيفيكسيم (Arabic)
- Цефиксим (Cyrillic)
- 头孢克肟 (Chinese)
- セフィキシム (Japanese)
- C16H15N5O7S2,3H2O (Molecular formula)
Drug trade names
- Cefix (Цефикс)™
- Ceforal (Цефорал)™
- Ixime (Иксим)™
- Neo Cefix™
- Pancef (Панцеф)™
- Stadium™ (Italy)
- Suprax (Супракс)™
- Suprax (速普乐)™
- Te Pu Ning (特普宁)™
- СУПРАКС® СОЛЮТАБ®
- Rowe H, Baker T, Hale TW. Maternal medication, drug use, and breastfeeding. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013 Feb;60(1):275-94. 2013Abstract
- Bar-Oz B, Bulkowstein M, Benyamini L, Greenberg R, Soriano I, Zimmerman D, Bortnik O, Berkovitch M. Use of antibiotic and analgesic drugs during lactation. Drug Saf. 2003Abstract
- Fulton B, Moore LL. Antiinfectives in breastmilk. Part I: Penicillins and cephalosporins. J Hum Lact. 1992Abstract
- Barré J. [Pharmacokinetic properties of cefixime]. Presse Med. 1989Abstract
- Faulkner RD, Fernandez P, Lawrence G, Sia LL, Falkowski AJ, Weiss AI, Yacobi A, Silber BM. Absolute bioavailability of cefixime in man. J Clin Pharmacol. 1988Abstract
- Brittain DC, Scully BE, Hirose T, Neu HC. The pharmacokinetic and bactericidal characteristics of oral cefixime. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1985Abstract