Desogestrel (Progestogen-only contraceptive pill) that does not alter quality or composition of breast milk.
Excretion into breast milk is non-significant, with no harmful effects on breastfed infants from treated mother reported.
Within the first 6 weeks after birth, non-hormonal contraceptive methods are preferred.
We do not have alternatives for Desogestrel since it is relatively safe.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Δεσογεστρέλη (Greek)
- ديسوجاسترال (Arabic)
- Дезогестрел (Cyrillic)
- 去氧孕烯 (Chinese)
- デソゲストレル (Japanese)
- C22 H30 O (Molecular formula)
Drug trade names
- Berens P, Labbok M; Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. ABM Clinical Protocol #13: Contraception During Breastfeeding, Revised 2015. Breastfeed Med. 2015Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Berens P, Labbok M; Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. Protocolo clínico de la ABM n.º 13: Anticoncepción durante la lactancia, revisado en 2015. Breastfeed Med. 2015 Full text (link to original source)
- Department of Reproductive Health and Research World Health Organization. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use. WHO/RHR/15.07. 2015Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Dutta DK, Dutta I. Desogestrel mini pill: is this safe in lactating mother? J Indian Med Assoc. 2013Abstract
- Mwalwanda CS, Black KI. Immediate post-partum initiation of intrauterine contraception and implants: a review of the safety and guidelines for use. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013Abstract
- Bahamondes L, Bahamondes MV, Modesto W, Tilley IB, Magalhães A, Pinto e Silva JL, Amaral E, Mishell DR Jr. Effect of hormonal contraceptives during breastfeeding on infant's milk ingestion and growth. Fertil Steril. 2013Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U.S. Selected Practice Recommendations for Contraceptive Use, 2013: adapted from the World Health Organization selected practice recommendations for contraceptive use, 2nd edition. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Desogestrel Ficha técnica 2012 Full text (in our servers)
- Comité de Lactancia Materna AEP. Preguntas frecuentes sobre lactancia materna. Folleto. 2012 Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Gurtcheff SE, Turok DK, Stoddard G, Murphy PA, Gibson M, Jones KP. Lactogenesis after early postpartum use of the contraceptive implant: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2011Abstract
- Kapp N, Curtis K, Nanda K. Progestogen-only contraceptive use among breastfeeding women: a systematic review. Contraception. 2010Abstract
- Krepelka P, Hanácek J, Hrdlicka D. [Contraceptive methods used by women in the period before and after giving birth]. Ceska Gynekol. 2009Abstract
- Brito MB, Ferriani RA, Quintana SM, Yazlle ME, Silva de Sá MF, Vieira CS. Safety of the etonogestrel-releasing implant during the immediate postpartum period: a pilot study. Contraception. 2009Abstract
- Taneepanichskul S, Reinprayoon D, Thaithumyanon P, Praisuwanna P, Tosukhowong P, Dieben T. Effects of the etonogestrel-releasing implant Implanon and a nonmedicated intrauterine device on the growth of breast-fed infants. Contraception. 2006Abstract
- Bjarnadóttir RI, Gottfredsdóttir H, Sigurdardóttir K, Geirsson RT, Dieben TO. Comparative study of the effects of a progestogen-only pill containing desogestrel and an intrauterine contraceptive device in lactating women. BJOG. 2001Abstract
- Reinprayoon D, Taneepanichskul S, Bunyavejchevin S, Thaithumyanon P, Punnahitananda S, Tosukhowong P, Machielsen C, van Beek A. Effects of the etonogestrel-releasing contraceptive implant (Implanon on parameters of breastfeeding compared to those of an intrauterine device. Contraception. 2000Abstract
- Moretti ME, Lee A, Ito S. Which drugs are contraindicated during breastfeeding? Practice guidelines. Can Fam Physician. 2000Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Kelsey JJ. Hormonal contraception and lactation. J Hum Lact. 1996Abstract
- [No authors listed] Progestogen-only contraceptives during lactation: II. Infant development. World Health Organization, Task Force for Epidemiological Research on Reproductive Health; Special Programme of Research, Development, and Research Training in Human Reproduction. Contraception. 1994Abstract