Until more information on other Triptan-related compounds are available Sumatriptan is thought to be the safest one because of both a low excretion into breast milk and a low gut absorption.
We do not have alternatives for Sumatriptan since it is relatively safe.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
Drug trade names
- Bordini CA, Roesler C, Carvalho Dde S, Macedo DD, Piovesan É, Melhado EM, Dach F, Kowacs F, Silva Júnior HM, Souza JA, Maciel JA Jr, Carvalho JJ, Speciali JG, Barea LM, Queiroz LP, Ciciarelli MC, Valença MM, Lima MM, Vincent MB. Recommendations for the treatment of migraine attacks - a Brazilian consensus. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2016Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Davanzo R, Bua J, Paloni G, Facchina G. Breastfeeding and migraine drugs. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2014Abstract
- Worthington I, Pringsheim T, Gawel MJ, Gladstone J, Cooper P, Dilli E, Aube M, Leroux E, Becker WJ; Canadian Headache Society Acute Migraine Treatment Guideline Development Group. Canadian Headache Society Guideline: acute drug therapy for migraine headache. Can J Neurol Sci. 2013Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Amir LH, Pirotta MV, Raval M. Breastfeeding--evidence based guidelines for the use of medicines. Aust Fam Physician. 2011Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Duong S, Bozzo P, Nordeng H, Einarson A. Safety of triptans for migraine headaches during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Can Fam Physician. 2010Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Jürgens TP, Schaefer C, May A. Treatment of cluster headache in pregnancy and lactation. Cephalalgia. 2009Abstract
- Marcus DA. Managing headache during pregnancy and lactation. Expert Rev Neurother. 2008Abstract
- Raña-Martínez N. [Migraine in females]. Rev Neurol. 2008Abstract
- Beseler-Soto B, Paricio-Talayero JM, Sánchez-Palomares M, Benlloch-Muncharaz M, Santos-Serrano L, Landa-Rivera L. [Migraine and female]. Rev Neurol. 2008Abstract
- MacGregor EA. Migraine in pregnancy and lactation: a clinical review. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2007Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Loder E. Migraine in pregnancy. Semin Neurol. 2007Abstract
- Sances G, Granella F, Nappi RE, Fignon A, Ghiotto N, Polatti F, Nappi G. Course of migraine during pregnancy and postpartum: a prospective study. Cephalalgia. 2003Abstract
- Allais G, Bosio A, Mana O, Airola G, Ciochetto D, Terzi MG, De Lorenzo C, Quirico PE, Benedetto C. [Migraine during pregnancy and lactation: treatment of the acute attack and non-pharmacological prophylactic strategies]. Minerva Med. 2003Abstract
- AAP - American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs. Transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatrics. 2001Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Rathmell JP, Viscomi CM, Ashburn MA. Management of nonobstetric pain during pregnancy and lactation. Anesth Analg. 1997Abstract
- Wojnar-Horton RE, Hackett LP, Yapp P, Dusci LJ, Paech M, Ilett KF. Distribution and excretion of sumatriptan in human milk. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1996Abstract
- Kristensen J. Sumatriptan and breastfeeding. Letter. Aust J Hosp Pharm. 26:460. 1996