When administered orally or intravenously, it is excreted into breast milk in clinically non-significant amount which is very lower than that prescribed to infants.
This medication is authorized for use in infants older than 1 month of age.
Be aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures done to infants when the mother is on antibiotics, together with a higher risk of diarrheal disease due to imbalance of intestinal flora.
When topically used with creams and vaginal ovules, absorption into serum is scanty, hence, excretion into breast milk is believed lower than that attained by systemic administration.
- Metronidazole (Very Low Risk)
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- τινιδαζόλη (Greek)
- تينيدازول (Arabic)
- Тинидазол (Cyrillic)
- 替硝唑 (Chinese)
- チニダゾール (Japanese)
- C8 H13 N3 O4 S (Molecular formula)
Drug trade names
- Amplium™ (Brazil)
- Bi Shi (比适)™
- Dabao (达保)™
- Dikexin (迪克新)™
- Fasigyn (Фазижин)™
- Fu Lu Ning (福路宁)™
- Hua Er Fu (华尔复)™
- Ji De (济得)™
- Jie Luo Lin (捷洛林)™
- JieLi (捷力)™
- JinHe (津和)™
- Kai Fu Xin (凯服新)™
- Ke Li Tai (可立泰)™
- Ladylen Duo™
- Le Jing Yi (乐净怡)™
- Login (乐净)™
- Tiniba (Тиниба)™
- TM Dazole™
- CDC - Workowski KA, Berman S; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Mahadevan U, Kane S. American gastroenterological association institute technical review on the use of gastrointestinal medications in pregnancy. Gastroenterology. 2006Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Evaldson GR, Lindgren S, Nord CE, Rane AT. Tinidazole milk excretion and pharmacokinetics in lactating women. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1985Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Roe FJ. Safety of nitroimidazoles. Scand J Infect Dis Suppl. 1985Abstract
- Männistö PT, Karhunen M, Koskela O, Suikkari AM, Mattila J, Haataja H. Concentrations of tinidazole in breast milk. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol (Copenh). 1983Abstract
- Chaikin P, Alton KB, Sampson C, Weintraub HS. Pharmacokinetics of tinidazole in male and female subjects. J Clin Pharmacol. 1982Abstract
- Wood BA, Faulkner JK, Monro AM. The pharmacokinetics, metabolism and tissue distribution of tinidazole. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1982Abstract
- Andersson KE. Pharmacokinetics of nitroimidazoles. Spectrum of adverse reactions. Scand J Infect Dis Suppl. 1981Abstract
- Wood BA, Monro AM. Pharmacokinetics of tinidazole and metronidazole in women after single large oral doses. Br J Vener Dis. 1975Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)