A product which has antimuscarinic/anticholinergic effects, similar in action to atropine.
It has antispasmodic properties on smooth muscle. Indicated in functional conditions of the intestine, gall bladder, uterus and bladder.
Since the last update, we have not found published data on its excretion in breastmilk.
Its high binding to plasma proteins makes its excretion in milk unlikely, as indicated by the manufacturer (Unipharm 2018).
There is hardly any published scientific data on this product: fewer than 10 articles (only 4 on humans) collected in PubMed and the last one dates from 2001.
Until there is more published information about this drug in relation to breastfeeding, better known alternatives may be preferable, especially during the neonatal period and in case of prematurity.
Atropine in isolated doses is considered compatible with breastfeeding.
During breastfeeding it may be prudent to avoid it or take a minimum dose over short periods of time, monitoring the production of milk as anticholinergics can reduce milk production (De Martino 1980, Bizarro 1980) especially in the first weeks postpartum. It is also advisable to monitor anticholinergic symptoms in the infant: dry mouth, constipation...
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Propinox Hydrochloride
- Паргеверина Гидрохлорид (Cyrillic)
- C21 H23 NO3, HCl (Molecular formula)
- 2-(Dimethylamino)ethyldiphenyl(2-propynyloxy)acetate hydrochloride (Chemical name)
- A03AAxx (ATC Code/s)
Drug trade names
- Apasmo Compuesto™
- Becebuen Compuesto™
- Becebuen Gotas™
- Bramedil Compuesto™
- Espasmo Dolex™ (Argentina)
- Firac Plus™
- Nova Paratropina Compositum™
- Nova Paratropina™
- Plidan Compuesto™
- Sertal Compuesto™
- Viadil Compuesto™
- Viplan Compuesto™
- Viproxil Compuesto™
- Unipharm. Propinox (espasmo dolofor). Ficha técnica. 2018 Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Roemmers. Propinox (Sertal). Prospecto. 2017 Full text (in our servers)
- de los Santos AR, Zmijanovich R, Pérez Macri S, Martí ML, Di Girolamo G. Antispasmodic/analgesic associations in primary dysmenorrhea double-blind crossover placebo-controlled clinical trial. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res. 2001Abstract
- De Martino F, De Matteo A, L'Abbate V, Soricelli A, Fontana A, Petrenga E, Cesarone M. [Inhibitory effects of atropine on serum prolactin levels after TRH stimulation]. Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper. 1980Abstract
- Bizzarro A, Iannucci F, Tolino A, Soricelli A, Guarino G, Verdoliva A. Inhibiting effect of atropine on prolactin blood levels after stimulation with TRH. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 1980Abstract