Second generation anti-histaminic and piperidine drug with a slightly sedative effect.
Second generation anti-histaminic medicines are considered to be safe while breastfeeding.
On latest update no relevant data related to breastfeeding was found.
Its high protein-binding capacity makes excretion into breast milk unlikely.
For long-term treatment a better known drug related to breastfeeding should be preferred.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Kalpaklioglu F, Baccioglu A. Efficacy and safety of H1-antihistamines: an update. Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2012Abstract
- So M, Bozzo P, Inoue M, Einarson A. Safety of antihistamines during pregnancy and lactation. Can Fam Physician. 2010Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Leimgruber A. [Treatment of asthma and rhinitis during pregnancy and breast feeding]. Rev Med Suisse. 2007Abstract
- Solhaug V, Roland PD. [Use of antihistaminics during pregnancy and breast feeding]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2004Abstract
- Solhaug V, Roland PD. Bruk av antihistaminer under graviditet og amming \ [Use of antihistaminics during pregnancy and breast feeding]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2004Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Yamaguchi T, Hashizume T, Matsuda M, Sakashita M, Fujii T, Sekine Y, Nakashima M, Uematsu T. Pharmacokinetics of the H1-receptor antagonist ebastine and its active metabolite carebastine in healthy subjects. Arzneimittelforschung. 1994Abstract
- Ghaeli P, Kaufman MB. Oral antihistamines/decongestants and breastfeeding. J Hum Lact. 1993Abstract
- Ito S, Blajchman A, Stephenson M, Eliopoulos C, Koren G. Prospective follow-up of adverse reactions in breast-fed infants exposed to maternal medication. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993Abstract