Progestin containing contraceptive drug that is used as a single dose for oral, subcutaneous implant, intrauterine device (IUD), or emergency contraception administration.
Also marketed in association with ethinylestradiol
Levonorgestrel is a progestin, and active metabolite isomer of norgestrel, both derived from nortestosterone. It is excreted in breast milk in clinically non-significant amount, and, no problems have been observed in infants whose mothers were treated. The plasma levels of these infants were very low.
Levonorgestrel and progestogens are generally considered contraceptive drugs of choice during lactation since they neither alter the quantity and composition of milk nor cause side effects on both growth of infants and the duration of breastfeeding.
Published study results have shown protection against breast bone mass loss with the use of progestin-only contraceptives.
For the first 6 weeks postpartum, non-hormonal methods are of choise. There is a debate on the role of progestin-related drugs in decreasing milk production when used before lactation has been fully established.
The American Academy of Pediatrics states that this medication is usually compatible with breastfeeding.
WHO List of Essential Medicines 2002: rates it as compatible with breastfeeding after the 6th postnatal week.
We do not have alternatives for Levonorgestrel since it is relatively safe.
Very Low Risk
Compatible. Not risky for breastfeeding or infant.
Moderately safe. Mild risk possible. Follow up recommended. Read the Comment.
Poorly safe. Evaluate carefully. Use a safer alternative. Read the Comment.
Very High Risk
Not recommended. Cessation of breastfeeding or alternative.
- Levonorgestrel Implant
- Levonorgestrel IUD
- Λεβονοργεστρέλη (Greek)
- ليفونورجاسترال + إيثينيلإيستراديول (Arabic)
- Левоноргестрел (Cyrillic)
- 左炔诺孕酮 (Chinese)
- レボノルゲストレル (Japanese)
- C21H28O2 (Molecular formula)
Drug trade names
- 28 mini™
- Mirena IUD™
- Next Choice™
- Norgestrel Max™
- Tace™ (Chile)
- ЛЕВОНОРГЕСТРЕЛ САНДОЗ®
- МОДЕЛЛЬ 911
- НАВЕЛА 0.75
- Curtis KM, Tepper NK, Jatlaoui TC, Berry-Bibee E, Horton LG, Zapata LB, Simmons KB, Pagano HP, Jamieson DJ, Whiteman MK. U.S. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016 Abstract
- Berens P, Labbok M; Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. Protocolo clínico de la ABM n.º 13: Anticoncepción durante la lactancia, revisado en 2015. Breastfeed Med. 2015 Full text (link to original source)
- Berens P, Labbok M; Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. ABM Clinical Protocol #13: Contraception During Breastfeeding, Revised 2015. Breastfeed Med. 2015 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Department of Reproductive Health and Research World Health Organization. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use. WHO/RHR/15.07. 2015 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- WHO. Medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use. 5th ed. Who Library. 2015 Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Phillips SJ, Tepper NK, Kapp N, Nanda K, Temmerman M, Curtis KM. Progestogen-only contraceptive use among breastfeeding women: a systematic review. Contraception. 2015 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Mwalwanda CS, Black KI. Immediate post-partum initiation of intrauterine contraception and implants: a review of the safety and guidelines for use. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013 Abstract
- Bahamondes L, Bahamondes MV, Modesto W, Tilley IB, Magalhães A, Pinto e Silva JL, Amaral E, Mishell DR Jr. Effect of hormonal contraceptives during breastfeeding on infant's milk ingestion and growth. Fertil Steril. 2013 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Polakow-Farkash S, Gilad O, Merlob P, Stahl B, Yogev Y, Klinger G. Levonorgestrel used for emergency contraception during lactation-a prospective observational cohort study on maternal and infant safety. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013 Abstract
- Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U.S. Selected Practice Recommendations for Contraceptive Use, 2013: adapted from the World Health Organization selected practice recommendations for contraceptive use, 2nd edition. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Shaaban OM, Hassen SG, Nour SA, Kames MA, Yones EM. Emergency contraceptive pills as a backup for lactational amenorrhea method (LAM) of contraception: a randomized controlled trial. Contraception. 2013 Abstract
- Costa ML, Cecatti JG, Krupa FG, Rehder PM, Sousa MH, Costa-Paiva L. Progestin-only contraception prevents bone loss in postpartum breastfeeding women. Contraception. 2012 Abstract
- Chen BA, Reeves MF, Creinin MD, Schwarz EB. Postplacental or delayed levonorgestrel intrauterine device insertion and breast-feeding duration. Contraception. 2011 Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U S. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Aisien AO, Enosolease ME. Haemostatic function in Norplant (levonorgestrel) users: a 3-year prospective experience in Benin-City, Nigeria. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2009 Abstract
- Graesslin O, Korver T. The contraceptive efficacy of Implanon: a review of clinical trials and marketing experience. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2008 Abstract
- Gainer E, Massai R, Lillo S, Reyes V, Forcelledo ML, Caviedes R, Villarroel C, Bouyer J. Levonorgestrel pharmacokinetics in plasma and milk of lactating women who take 1.5 mg for emergency contraception. Hum Reprod. 2007 Abstract Full text (in our servers)
- Shaamash AH, Sayed GH, Hussien MM, Shaaban MM. A comparative study of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system Mirena versus the Copper T380A intrauterine device during lactation: breast-feeding performance, infant growth and infant development. Contraception. 2005 Abstract
- Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care. FFPRHC Guidance (July 2004): Contraceptive choices for breastfeeding women. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2004 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Truitt ST, Fraser AB, Grimes DA, Gallo MF, Schulz KF. Combined hormonal versus nonhormonal versus progestin-only contraception in lactation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003 Abstract
- WHO / UNICEF. BREASTFEEDING AND MATERNAL MEDICATION Recommendations for Drugs in the Eleventh WHO Model List of Essential Drugs. Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development (WHO/UNICEF) 2002 Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Díaz S. Contraceptive implants and lactation. Contraception. 2002 Abstract
- Bassol S, Nava-Hernandez MP, Hernandez-Morales C, Trujillo-Macias AM, Lopez-Lozano MR, Recio R. Effects of levonorgestrel implant upon TSH and LH levels in male infants during lactation. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002 Abstract
- Halderman LD, Nelson AL. Impact of early postpartum administration of progestin-only hormonal contraceptives compared with nonhormonal contraceptives on short-term breast-feeding patterns. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002 Abstract
- Schiappacasse V, Díaz S, Zepeda A, Alvarado R, Herreros C. Health and growth of infants breastfed by Norplant contraceptive implants users: a six-year follow-up study. Contraception. 2002 Abstract
- Kunz J. [Levonorgestrel releasing intrauterine spiral--contraception and therapeutic indications]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2001 Abstract
- Harwood B, Mishell DR Jr. Contraceptive vaginal rings. Semin Reprod Med. 2001 Abstract
- Meckstroth KR, Darney PD. Implant contraception. Semin Reprod Med. 2001 Abstract
- AAP - American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs. Transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatrics. 2001 Abstract Full text (link to original source) Full text (in our servers)
- Dórea JG. Oral contraceptives do not affect magnesium in breast milk. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2000 Abstract
- Meckstroth KR, Darney PD. Implantable contraception. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2000 Abstract
- Dorea JG, Miazaki ES. The effects of oral contraceptive use on iron and copper concentrations in breast milk. Fertil Steril. 1999 Abstract
- Dorea JG, Myazaki E. Calcium and phosphorus in milk of Brazilian mothers using oral contraceptives. J Am Coll Nutr. 1998 Abstract
- Coukell AJ, Balfour JA. Levonorgestrel subdermal implants. A review of contraceptive efficacy and acceptability. Drugs. 1998 Abstract
- Díaz S, Zepeda A, Maturana X, Reyes MV, Miranda P, Casado ME, Peralta O, Croxatto HB. Fertility regulation in nursing women. IX. Contraceptive performance, duration of lactation, infant growth, and bleeding patterns during use of progesterone vaginal rings, progestin-only pills, Norplant implants, and Copper T 380-A intrauterine devices. Contraception. 1997 Abstract
- Kelsey JJ. Hormonal contraception and lactation. J Hum Lact. 1996 Abstract
- [No authors listed] Progestogen-only contraceptives during lactation: II. Infant development. World Health Organization, Task Force for Epidemiological Research on Reproductive Health; Special Programme of Research, Development, and Research Training in Human Reproduction. Contraception. 1994 Abstract
- Patel SB, Toddywalla VS, Betrabet SS, Kulkarni RD, Patel ZM, Mehta AC, Saxena BN. At what 'infant-age' can levonorgestrel contraceptives be recommended to nursing mothers? Adv Contracept. 1994 Abstract
- [No authors listed] Progestogen-only contraceptives during lactation: I. Infant growth. World Health Organization Task force for Epidemiological Research on Reproductive Health; Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction. Contraception. 1994 Abstract
- Gellén J, Borthaiser Z, Nyári T, Földesi I. [Changes in serum levels of lipid and lipoprotein fractions during breast feeding under the effect of hormonal contraceptives]. Orv Hetil. 1992 Abstract
- Shaaban MM. Contraception with progestogens and progesterone during lactation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1991 Abstract
- McCann MF, Moggia AV, Higgins JE, Potts M, Becker C. The effects of a progestin-only oral contraceptive (levonorgestrel 0.03 mg) on breast-feeding. Contraception. 1989 Abstract
- [No authors listed] Effects of hormonal contraceptives on breast milk composition and infant growth. World Health Organization (WHO) Task Force on Oral Contraceptives. Stud Fam Plann. 1988 Abstract
- Betrabet SS, Shikary ZK, Toddywalla VS, Toddywalla SP, Patel D, Saxena BN. ICMR Task Force Study on hormonal contraception. Transfer of norethisterone (NET) and levonorgestrel (LNG) from a single tablet into the infant's circulation through the mother's milk. Contraception. 1987 Abstract
- Shikary ZK, Betrabet SS, Patel ZM, Patel S, Joshi JV, Toddywala VS, Toddywala SP, Patel DM, Jhaveri K, Saxena BN. ICMR task force study on hormonal contraception. Transfer of levonorgestrel (LNG) administered through different drug delivery systems from the maternal circulation into the newborn infant's circulation via breast milk. Contraception. 1987 Abstract
- Shikary ZK, Betrabet SS, Toddywala WS, Patel DM, Datey S, Saxena BN. Pharmacodynamic effects of levonorgestrel (LNG) administered either orally or subdermally to early postpartum lactating mothers on the urinary levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and testosterone (T) in their breast-fed male infants. Contraception. 1986 Abstract
- Shaaban MM, Odlind V, Salem HT, Abdullah KA, Gomaa AA. Levonorgestrel concentrations in maternal and infant serum during use of subdermal levonorgestrel contraceptive implants, Norplant, by nursing mothers. Contraception. 1986 Abstract
- Affandi B, Karmadibrata S, Prihartono J, Lubis F, Samil RS. Effect of Norplant on mothers and infants in the postpartum period. Adv Contracept. 1986 Abstract
- Shikary ZK, Betrabet SS, Toddywala WS, Patel DM, Datey S, Saxena BN. Pharmacodynamic effects of levonorgestrel (LNG) administered either orally or subdermally to early postpartum lactating mothers on the urinary levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and testosterone (T) in their breast-fed Contraception. 1986 Abstract
- Díaz S, Herreros C, Juez G, Casado ME, Salvatierra AM, Miranda P, Peralta O, Croxatto HB. Fertility regulation in nursing women: VII. Influence of NORPLANT levonorgestrel implants upon lactation and infant growth. Contraception. 1985 Abstract
- Abdulla KA, Elwan SI, Salem HS, Shaaban MM. Effect of early postpartum use of the contraceptive implants, NORPLANT, on the serum levels of immunoglobulins of the mothers and their breastfed infants. Contraception. 1985 Abstract
- Shaaban MM, Salem HT, Abdullah KA. Influence of levonorgestrel contraceptive implants, NORPLANT, initiated early postpartum upon lactation and infant growth. Contraception. 1985 Abstract
- Prema K. Duration of lactation and return of menstruation in lactating women using hormonal contraception and IUDs. Contracept Deliv Syst. 1982 Abstract
- Heikkilä M, Haukkamaa M, Luukkainen T. Levonorgestrel in milk and plasma of breast-feeding women with a levonorgestrel-releasing IUD. Contraception. 1982 Abstract
- Heikkilä M, Luukkainen T. Duration of breast-feeding and development of children after insertion of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive device. Contraception. 1982 Abstract
- Cumming FJ. Effect of oral contraceptive use on ascorbic acid and vitamin A in lactation. J Hum Nutr. 1981 Abstract
- Nilsson S, Nygren KG, Johansson ED. d-Norgestrel concentrations in maternal plasma, milk, and child plasma during administration of oral contraceptives to nursing women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1977 Abstract
- Saxena BN, Shrimanker K, Grudzinskas JG. Levels of contraceptive seroids in breast milk and plasma of lactating women. Contraception. 1977 Abstract